You Will Love the Kitchen Remodeling Options We Have!
We combine some of the best kitchen remodeling and renovation services in the entire areas with our decades of experience to bring you Mega Kitchen and Bath. Our kitchens contain some of the best finishes and designs in the area with amazing backsplashes, storage cabinets, and counters. As a result, We can help you to create a stunning new kitchen based on images you provide. Above all, even a vision that’s in your head which needs brought to life.
Best Kitchen Remodeling in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia
Kitchen remodeling is a challenging project for every homeowner, considering you have several things to consider. Perhaps, the two main variables on hand is the new kitchen design and its corresponding budget.
To ensure a greater chance of successfully doing your kitchen renovations, it is best to plan ahead. You have to consider several suppliers, designers, and the things needed to be renovated inside your kitchen.
If you do not have a single idea where to start, we have a comprehensive outline for the estimated breakdown for your kitchen remodeling cost. Stay tuned to find out more of these things, so you will have a smooth flow later on.
How much does kitchen remodeling cost?
In any kitchen remodeling, we can divide the entire project into five main sections – countertops, sinks, cabinets, flooring, and appliances. Aside from that, the cost of the material will greatly depend on its quality, logistics, and dimension.
The average cost of small kitchen remodel can range from $13,161 to $36,997, specifically it can hit at $25,009. In another perspective, the kitchen remodel cost per square foot is between $75 to $250. Typically, the kitchen remodeling cost increases as the area becomes larger and the quality of materials used.
A smaller kitchen remodeling project can include a new sink, backsplash, and refacing kitchen cabinets. Whereas, a huge remodeling project can include major renovations such as countertops, floorings, upgrades in kitchen appliances, and new kitchen cabinets.
Major Questions you want to ask yourself before renovating
- Do you want to change your kitchen layout or retain the original one?
- What theme or design do you want for your kitchen remodeling?
- What are the major things you want to prioritize for the renovation?
Before proceeding to the specifics, we can have three budget plans for your kitchen renovations. No matter what budget plan you choose, we recommend that you secure a buffer budget between 15% to 20% of the overall project cost. This buffer amount will cover any unexpected increase in price or additional things to buy for the renovation.
- Small Budget – $10,000 to $15,000
- Medium Budget – $15,000 to $30,000
- Huge Kitchen Renovation – $30,000 and higher
Small Budget Kitchen Remodeling
This is the best plan when you are on a tight budget or just needs little things get renovated inside your kitchen. You will still need the assistance of a professional designer for this slim budget but you will be doing some parts of the renovation project.
You can buy the materials in advance before hiring a professional designer. This allows you to save more on extra fees from them.
Estimated inclusions for this budget
- New lightings for kitchen cabinets and ceilings
- Installing a new tile backsplash
- Changing your faucet and sink
- Refacing kitchen cabinets
- Stock cabinet installation
- Re-painting kitchen ceilings and walls
Medium Budget Kitchen Remodeling
For this budget plan, you still do a fraction of the renovation project while leaving more work for your professional designer. Some of the tasks you can pass on to your designer include refinishing or installing new kitchen cabinets, new light installations, and repainting walls.
Estimated inclusions for this budget
- Installation of new kitchen countertops
- Installing an island countertop
- New kitchen floor
- Building new kitchen cabinets
- Incorporating brand new kitchen appliances
- New electrical wirings and light installations
Huge Kitchen Renovation
When you are financially ready to make that complete kitchen renovation, this is the right budget plan for you. With this budget, you have a wider range of selections and customization to meet your desired kitchen layout and design.
Estimated inclusions for this budget
- Installing high-end kitchen countertops such as granite,quartz,and marble
- New sink, backsplash and faucet
- New and customized kitchen cabinets
- New kitchen floorings
- New lighting under cabinets
- New kitchen appliances with great SEER ratings
What is the Estimated Budget Breakdown for Kitchen Remodeling?
For every homeowner, you are always concerned about where your money goes when you do kitchen remodeling. To give you a good idea, here is an estimated budget breakdown from the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) for the average cost in renovating your kitchen.
- Design fees – 4%
- Kitchen appliances and ventilation – 17%
- Kitchen countertops – 10%
- Installation cost – 17%
- Sinks, faucets, and kitchen plumbing – 4%
- Windows and doors – 4%
- New light installations – 5%
- Kitchen floor – 7%
- Kitchen cabinets and hardware fixtures – 29%
- Miscellaneous expenses – 1%
Average Cost for Kitchen Countertops
No matter what type of material you choose for your kitchen countertop, the average cost for having one is between $2,000 to $4,000. Cost will still vary depending on the mineral, quality, dimension, and installation cost. Among the different materials, the most popular are granite, quartz, marble, and quartzite.
Here are some estimate costs per square foot for each countertop material
- Granite – $40 to $60
- Quartz – $50 to $150
- Marble – $40 to $100
- Soapstone – $70 to $120
- Corian – $42 to $65
- Concrete – $65 to $135
- Recycled Glass – $50 to $110
- Laminate – $55
- Formica – $25 to $40
- Porcelain – $3 to $28
- Butcher block or wood – $10 to $38
- Paper Composite – $45 to $70
- Stainless Steel – $60 to $100
- Travertine – $11 to $35
- Ceramic – $1 to $15
Average Cost Kitchen Cabinets
The average installation cost for one kitchen cabinet is between $100 to $200 for tight budgets, while $300 to $500 for high-end renovations. Meanwhile, the cost of making a single kitchen cabinet ranges from $75 to $1,500 per linear foot.
Here are some estimated costs for kitchen cabinet renovation
1. $1,500 to $4,000 – Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets
- Most economical option
- Dust removal and re-finishing of cabinet parts
2. $4,000 to $9,500 – Refacing Kitchen Cabinets
- Removal of old and rustic cabinet doors
- Partial new parts installed for cabinets
3. $75 to $150 per linear foot – Stock or Pre-made Cabinets
- Pre-made cabinets with limited sizes and designs
- Affordable option for new cabinets
4. $100 to $1,000 per linear foot – Semi-custom Cabinets
- Better quality and design than pre-made cabinets
- Resizing can be done but for an additional cost
5. $500 to $1,500 per linear foot – Customized Kitchen Cabinets
- The most pricey choice
- Exquisite design, material, and installation service
Average Cost Kitchen Flooring
Aside from kitchen countertops, choosing the best material for your kitchen floor is a daunting task. If you are on a tight budget, we recommend you to have vinyl or linoleum, but it won’t increase the overall value of your home. If you want to increase the resale value of your home, we suggest you to take on granite, quartz, hardwood, or tiles for your kitchen flooring.
Meanwhile, the average cost for installing a new kitchen floor is between $1,600 to $4,500. however, overall cost still depends on the total area of your floor and the material to be used.
Estimated Costs for Different Flooring Materials
1. Terrazzo – $3,900 to $15,000
- Hard and dependable
- Low cleaning requirements
2. Slate – $1,600 to $3,000
- Hard surface
- Low maintenance level
- Limited designs
3. Concrete – $1,500 to $4,000
- Hard surface
- Low cleaning and maintenance level
- Proper sealing required for better anti-stain and antibacterial properties
4. Marble – $1,600 to $4,000
- Some stains quickly
- Polished and elegant looks
- Prone to etching
5. Hardwood or Engineered Wood – $1,600 to $3,000
- Resistant to scratches and normal wear and tear
- Periodic polishing and waxing needed
6. Stone – $1,000 to $3,000
- Pricey option
- Highly durable
- Increases resale value
- Slightly low stain resistance
7. Linoleum – $900 to $2,500
- Green material and affordable
- Proper maintenance needed
8. Laminate – $1,400 to $4,000
- Affordable choice
- Unlimited designs
- Easy to install, maintain, and clean
9. Ceramic – $500 to $2,000
- Hard material
- Offers more design and patterns
- Prone to chips and cuts
10. Vinyl – $1,000 to $2,000
- Affordable choice
- Slightly emits VOCs
11. Cork – $400 to $1,500
- Safe and non-toxic
- Good resistance against stains and mildews
- Proper maintenance needed
12. Bamboo – $500 to $1,200
- Safe and green material
- Low cleaning and maintenance needed
- Prone to etching
Cost for Moving Gas Lines
The average cost to hire a professional for moving your gas line ranges from $300 to $850. If you want to save on this cost, then we suggest that we will move your cooktop and oven. With that, we do not have to move or add more pipes for your gas line.
Cost for Kitchen Plumbing
The estimated cost for installing a new faucet and sink without altering your current plumbing system is around $160 to $360 and $210 to $560, respectively. If the renovation process requires additional pipings, then cost can run up to $1,200. Likewise, you will have to secure a building permit from your city to get this done.
Cost for Wiring Connections
It is inevitable for any kitchen remodeling, that there will be transferring or adding more outlets to cater new kitchen appliances. You need to plan ahead if your kitchen remodeling requires an alteration in the current electrical wiring inside your kitchen or not.
The average hourly rate for an electrician is between $50 to $100 per hour. Likewise, you need to secure other things for new electrical connections such as additional wires, pliers, screws, electrical tapes, and others.
Average Cost Kitchen Remodeling Based on Area
We can also make a rough estimation for the average cost of renovating your kitchen based on its area. There are plenty of variables influencing the cost of your renovation project which include material, quality, design, fee of professional designer, installation costs, kitchen area, and more.
Average Costs Kitchen Remodeling based on Kitchen Area
- Less than 70 square foot – $5,500 to $20,500
- 100 to 150 square foot – $15,500 to $40,500
- 200 square foot and larger – $30,500 to $60,000 above
Estimated Cost for Professional Designer
According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA), the estimated cost of hiring a professional designer based from your total kitchen renovation cost is around 4% to 7%. Likewise, these designers can charge either on an hourly rate ($110 to $210) or a flat fee running between $120 to $820.
Approximate inclusions for their service
- Consultation for the selection of material and color
- Assistance for communicating with suppliers and contractors
- 3D simulation for your kitchen renovation
- Overview and management for the entire project
Estimated Cost for Contractors
On average, the estimated labor cost for contractors ranges from $3,600 to $6,000. This is approximately 16% to 25% of your total project cost.
How to plan a kitchen renovation?
Whether it is a major or small kitchen renovation, this is a tricky and challenging project for every homeowner. When it comes to reselling your house, the kitchen is one of the most important things your prospect buyer would look into. Likewise, the overall impact of the renovation can increase the resale value of your home.
To successfully keep your kitchen renovation on a budget, you need to have a detailed plan. A comprehensive plan for your remodeling will ensure you will never go beyond your projected kitchen renovations cost.
Here are some of our tips for creating an excellent plan for your kitchen make-over
1. Plan Your Projected Kitchen Renovations Cost
This is the basic and prime step for any remodeling project. We really need to emphasize on this one so that you won’t end up getting surprised on how much you have spent.
You need to think, is it a small, medium, or huge renovation project? If you aim for a small budget kitchen renovation, then costs would range from $10,000 to $15,000. whereas, if you go for the huge kitchen renovation, cost will be more than $30,000.
Further, the neighborhood your house is located also affects its resale value and the investment you need to place for renovation. If you are on a high-end real estate neighborhood, then you need to have a higher investment cost on your kitchen renovation to ensure there is a higher return on investment and greater chance of selling the property.
2. Are Your Planning to Stay While Renovations Are Going On
It is inevitable that when your kitchen renovation starts, you won’t be able to use it and you would have to find an alternative place to prepare your meals. Likewise, you have to consider the hassle of seeing lots of things inside your kitchen and home needed for the remodeling.
If you cannot take this situation, it is best to plan ahead whether you are staying inside your home or not while your kitchen make-over is going on. If you plan to stay somewhere else, take into consideration the cost of moving service and rent of the new place.
3. Have a Breakdown of your Budget
Once you have the estimated total kitchen renovation cost in mind, enumerate the breakdown for your remodeling project. This provides a clearer picture of where your money is going. Likewise, it will serve as your financial map for purchasing materials and cost of labor.
The typical budget breakdown for your kitchen remodeling cost include
- Sinks, faucets, plumbing
- Electrical wiring connection
- Installation cost
- Professional designer’s fee
- Backsplash and kitchen flooring
- Ceilings and walls
- Kitchen cabinets
- New appliances
4. Secure an Additional Budget – 10% to 20% of total Renovation Cost
Perhaps, you have done your canvassing of materials one to three months ago. In that case, there can be changes in the materials’ cost. You need to safeguard yourself from possible increase in prices and other extra expenditures along the way.
5. Create a Priority List for your Kitchen Remodeling
When it comes to renovations, you need to be practical when your finances are constrained. It can be that you can go for a small budget for now, then do the remaining things later on when you have sufficient budget for it.
In that case, you have to prioritize the things needed to be upgraded or repaired inside your kitchen. These things can be your kitchen countertops, floorings, cabinets, electrical works, plumbing, gas line, and ceilings.
6. Plan How You’re Going to Finance It
Most homeowners would prefer getting a loan to finance their kitchen renovation project. Why? Because it is tax deductible and you will not be able to make withdrawals from your current investments.
If you are planning on reselling your house, you need to account the cost of capital and possible return on investment for the renovation and selling price of the house.
7. For small budgets, set aside some tasks for your to work on
For those on budget constraints, you can save a lot when you will do some of the tasks in remodeling your kitchen. These things can include taking out the old doors of your kitchen cabinets, securing your appliances, and repainting.
How to update your kitchen on a budget?
There are plenty of smart hacks for kitchen updates on a budget and small bathroom updates. You are never obliged to shell out huge amounts of cash for making your kitchen look brand new again. Nevertheless, if you plan on reselling your home, investing on kitchen renovation is a smart choice.
Here are some smart ideas you can apply to get that kitchen updates on a budget.
1. Backsplash Installation
You do not need a professional designer to create a beautiful backsplash for your kitchen. Just search the right material and color that can match the existing design of your kitchen. We can help you out in choosing the right material for this undertaking.
2. Refacing or Refinishing your Kitchen Drawers and Cabinets
If your kitchen drawers and cabinets are still in good shape, then re-painting them a new and vibrant color can be your smart option. If necessary, you can just remove the old doors of your cabinets and replace it with a newly furnished one.
Likewise, you can remove your kitchen drawers, have it sand and painted or applied with a wood veneer. You can also replace some of the hardwares of your cabinets and drawers to give a new chrome-plated finish.
3. Go for Discounted Countertops and other Cheaper Alternatives
To create a stunning kitchen appearance, you can install a new kitchen countertop from cheaper materials. Your elegant countertop can be the focal point of your kitchen. If you cannot readily buy granite or quartz slabs, then go for countertop remnants. These discounted slabs have parallel beauty with the standard ones with a setback on their irregular size.
Another option is going for a cheaper material such as porcelain, ceramic, recycled glass, Formica, and butcher blocks. When paired effectively in your kitchen, it totally creates a huge impact on aesthetics.
4. Install LED Lightings
You can never undermine the huge impact of modern LED lightings in the aesthetics of your kitchen updates on a budget. Installing lightings on the underside of your cabinets and countertops, can make a great improvement on the vibrancy of your area.
A well-lit bathroom and kitchen greatly enhances the elegance and vibrancy of your chrome-plated and polished surfaces. It creates a modern and sleek appearance without spending too much.
5. Install New and Bold Kitchen Floor
Just like when doing small bathroom updates, you can make a great improvement in your kitchen floor at a cheaper cost. You can do that by using laminate floor tiles with bolder designs.
Another alternative is choosing a cheaper material such as vinyl, porcelain, and ceramic tiles for your new kitchen floor. We also recommend that the design of your kitchen floor complements that of your walls and ceiling. With this, you are able to create a continuous stunning ambiance in your kitchen.
How long to redo a kitchen?
There is no definite time frame for finishing a kitchen renovation because it depends on how small or large will be the improvements needed to be done. Nevertheless, we have some estimated durations for you to base on.
Aside from money, time is also part of your kitchen redo cost because you will have to either still stay in your house or rent a place while the project is going on. Moreover, the process of renovating your kitchen can be divided into two main parts – pre-construction and construction stages.
For your pre-construction stage, that will include the following processes
- Design and 3D renderings
- Material selection and canvassing
- Structural drawings
- Securing building permits from city
- Purchasing the materials
Whereas, your construction stage will include the following steps
- Floor protection
- Installing the structural frames
- Plumbing, electrical, gas line,and ductworks
- Insulation and drywall
- Installing new flooring
- Fabrication and installation of countertop
- Installing and painting new cabinets and drawers
- Cleaning and dusting
If you are simply aiming at replacing old things while keeping the original kitchen layout, then the estimated duration for that is 6 to 8 weeks. This is applicable for a standard-sized kitchen.
Meanwhile, if you will be doing a huge kitchen renovation which involves changing the current layout, taking things out, and installing new ones. The estimated duration for completing this project is 10 to 12 weeks.
Bear in mind, completing your kitchen redo project will also be affected on the availability of the materials to be used. Likewise, manpower and weather will also be taken into consideration.
What kitchen upgrades that add value?
One of the best reasons for renovating your kitchen is to increase the resale value of your home. It is best if you know some of these kitchen upgrade hacks and removable kitchen upgrades which spikes up home resale value.
1. Install an Island
This provides an extra working space for you to cook and prepare your meals. The standard height of an island countertop is 36 inches, while for a breakfast bar, that would be 42” to 46”.
Likewise, the overhand must be around 1” to 3”. If it is longer, then you need to secure an extra support structure underneath to prevent any sudden breakage.
2. Refinish or Reface your Kitchen Cabinets and Drawers
Instead of spending too much on installing new cabinets, just go for refacing or refinishing with a new paint. It adds beauty especially if the color matches or contrasts with your kitchen countertops and walls.
You can also replace the knobs and hinges of your cabinets with new ones to enhance its contemporary look.
3. Install Hanging Lights Above Island and Kitchen Countertops
Choose a stylish and modern lightings to hang on top of your island and kitchen countertops. This enhances the vibrancy of your kitchen as the lights bounce off from metallic and glossy surfaces.
4. Upgrade Your Sink and Faucet
Installing a modern and techy faucet in your sink adds beauty and functionality in your kitchen space. Likewise, enhancing your kitchen sink is a sleek way to increase the value of your kitchen. Here are some of the best ideas for your upgrading your sink.
Different Kitchen Sink Ideas
- Typically uses fireclay sink
- Single or double sink bowl
- The sink bowl slightly extends over the sink counter
- Rustic farmhouse look
2. Stainless Steel
- Simple, durable, and modern
- More affordable and heavier
3. Bar sink
- Typically serves as an additional sink bowl
- Single bowl
- Smaller and shallower than standard kitchen sinks
- Intended for preparing drinks and small cleanups
- Usually made from stainless steel
- Located at the corner of your kitchen to maximize space
- Double sink bowl usually separated with a drainboard and faucet in the middle
5. Granite Composite
- Heavier than stainless steel
- Absorbs more sound because of its dense granite material
- Great aesthetics and modern appearance
6. Cast Iron
- Provides that rustic and vintage look
- Usually sprayed with white porcelain coating to achieve that glossy appearance
7. Island Sink
- Adds more functionality for your island counter
- Great for preparing food and drinks
- Can be made from stainless steel or cast iron
8. Sink with drainboard
- Typically made from stainless steel
- The drainboard adds more functionality to the sink counter
- Nature-friendly and modern look
What is considered a minor kitchen makeover?
A minor kitchen makeover literally means small kitchen makeover. Typically, the budget for this one slightly goes below than the standard budget which is around $25,000. For you to stay within this budget, there will be no replacement on the frame support of your countertops, and no demolition on kitchen walls and ceilings.
The common inclusions for a small kitchen makeover include
- Refacing and repainting cabinets and drawers
- New kitchen countertops (affordable materials)
- New modern lightings
- New fixtures
- Repainting jobs
- Buying smaller and greener appliances
- Installing new backsplash
What to ask a prospective contractor for kitchen remodel?
We encourage homeowners to ask questions for their commercial kitchen contractor before officially hiring them for the job. This ensures you can thoroughly scrutinized their credibility and to protect yourself from fraud.
To have a peace of mind and assurance that your kitchen remodeling will be successful, here are some important questions you can throw at your prospect outdoor kitchen contractor.
1. Can I see your company profile?
By seeing the company profile of your prospec commercial kitchen contractor, you can check how long they have been in the industry. Likewise, you can also check out the incorporators or owners of the company and some of their portfolios.
2. Do you have proof of your contracting license and that you are insured?
A legit outdoor kitchen contractor must have complied with all the accreditations and licenses to operate in a specific city, state, or country. Likewise, you also need to check if their technicians are bonded in performing their job. This serves as an extra protection on your side as customers.
3. Will you be the one to secure the building permits and conduct the required inspection for this project?
For your security and convenience, your prospect commercial kitchen contractor must know the necessary permits to secure for changing some of the structures in your home. Moreover, they must be willing to grab those permits for your sake.
4. Ask for the payment terms
No credible and licensed outdoor kitchen contractor would require you to fully pay their service without even starting the pre-construction and construction stages. An initial down payment can be done and the rest can be billed based on the development of the project. Nevertheless, it is wise to ask your prospect contractor for their standard payment terms.
5. Ask for a breakdown project timeline for your kitchen renovation
Ask your prospect contractor if they can create a printout for the specifics of the project timeline for renovating your kitchen. This serves as a good time chart for checking the progress of the project. With this, you are able to see what tasks are expected to be completed for weeks 1, 2, 3 and so on.
6. Ask if will it be the same people working for your entire kitchen remodeling project
Ask your contractor if the project will be assigned and finished for the same team and project manager. This ensures you have a consistent quality and intensity of work throughout the entire remodeling.
Likewise, you can have a single and definite team or people to address some complaints or changes from their work. If there will be sub-contractors, ask the main contractor if they have thoroughly screened their credibility and portfolios.
Moreover, ask the main contractor on how often will they check the progress of the project. This ensures high-quality of work and on-time completion of the project.
7. Ask on how will you be able to contact your contractor
This is important so you have the right contact person and details to call whenever there are problems and changes to be done. Likewise, ask which mode of communication do they prefer. Is it sms, email, mobile or telephone call.
8. What are your precautions to ensure the safety of my property?
Your commercial kitchen contractor must propose precautionary actions that will safeguard your valuables inside the kitchen. Likewise, they must inform you ahead of time if they will be moving some furniture and appliances in the kitchen.
Inline, ensuring their technicians are bonded is your second backup in case inevitable damage to your property will be inflicted.